[TenTec] OMNI V FSK Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI V FSK Question
From: wa8dxd@magicnet.net (Tom Arvo)
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:09:45 -0500
Hi Gang:

Was wondering if someone in this group can shed some light on a problem I
am having with the Omni-V using FSK for RTTY. Here's the problem. The
frequency shift seems to fall out of the passband tuning range. For
example, when I send a CQ, say on 14.080, I need to retune the main tuning
dial up frequency approx 200hz to tune in the answering station. Being in
transceive, this then also moves my xmit frequency. Thus, the only way
currently I can have a 2-way RTTY qso is to operate the rig split
frequency. The Omni manual says you need to tune the passband knob to the
approx. 3 o'clock position. This does not do the trick. All works fine in
AFSK mode. I am using a PK-232 TNC and it is hooked up (as near as I can
determine) properly to work in FSK with the Omni-V. I feel this is one of
those things, that is going to turn out to be simple and probable something
I am doing wrong, but at the moment, I'm stumped.

So far, my communication with TENTEC hasn't been able to solve this one so
was wondering if any of you sleuths out there might have a solution to this
mystery?

Thanks, Tom WA8DXD