[TenTec] OMNI VI filter bypassing?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI filter bypassing?
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:30:41 -0500
Hi Clark,

I'm awaiting my 2.8 K filter.  From your first impression, it appears the
filter has corrected the LSB/USB passband asymmetry problem.

As you pointed out, the impetus for the change was to correct a problem on
some Omnis where the fixed BFO frequency of 9,000.400 kHz fell square on the
2.4 K filter's steep, lower skirt.  I am VERY interested in hearing the
results from your CW testing.  Unfortunately, you're just too far from me to
hear a good strong CW signal on the lower bands, where I am presently
limited.

Regarding the 6.3 MHz position: I don't have the schematic in hand, but I
presently run my Omni with nothing but a jumper between the 9 MHz wide
filter pins.  In that position, I don't believe there are any DC coupling
issues, although there may be in the 6.3 MHz position.  Without the filter
in place, I don't think that exact impedance matching is going to be too
critical.  You're right however, the ultimate solution is for George to make
a 2.8 kHz @ 6.3 MHz IF filter.

Please let us know the results of your CW testing ASAP.  Thanks Clark!

-Paul, W9AC