[TenTec] on ten-tec's primitivy...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] on ten-tec's primitivy...
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:20:49 -0000
Hi Alec,

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, but I have thousands
of messages in my inbox here. Interesting problem with
your PA - I have a Paragon here which I have operated on and off
but relatively trouble free for about 7 years. The only problem
I had with the PA was a blown electrolytic capacitor - it went
off like a shotgun one evening while I was tuning up. Scared
the hell out of me. At first, I thought my downstairs neighbor was
retaliating for the loud music from my stereo - grin grin.
When I opened up the PA module, I found pieces of electrolytic
strewn all over the inside of the PA module. I promptly removed the
debris and replaced the blown cap with one from my junkbox. The PA
has worked trouble free since that time, including a little contest
duty and RTTY at 100 watts.

Sounds like fundamentally you have a bias problem. Have you checked
the bias circuit in the PA against the schematic? Assuming your circuit
and mine are similar, I suspect a bad component(s) as opposed to a
flawed design. Have you made the bias current adjustment (this is a
very simple procedure)? Worst case, have you considered buying a
new PA module.

Don't rule out operator error either. About two years ago, I was cursing
my Paragon to high heaven and was ready to leave it for the garbage man.
The microprocessor kept locking up or getting into weird states where the
QSK wouldn't work properly when running split frequency. I almost took
a sledge hammer to it during the 96 SS CW. After several calls to Ten-Tec
and countless hours inside the microprocessor section adding bypass caps
and chokes, I came to my senses and measured the input voltage under trasmit
conditions. Turns out that I was losing 2 volts across a resistive fuse
holder. When I replaced the fuse holder, everything started working
perfectly. Lesson learned - don't always look for the complicated solution
first!

As a final note, I would suggest for your own sake to keep the inflammatory
rhetoric to a minimum. People don't respond well to that sort of thing, and
its usually counterproductive when it comes to solving technical problems. As I
learned from my faulty fuse holder experience, all the cussing and swearing
in the world didn't make my radio work properly - only careful and deliberate
troubleshooting.

Good Luck,

Mike, W4EF......