[TenTec] Ten Tec PTO problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec PTO problem
From: ac5am1@juno.com (Bob Stolzle)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 02:59:03 -0600
Hello Everyone,

After reading the posts on the PTO problem thought I would tell you what
I have found. (This may not
be your problem but it was in my Corsair II).

Sent my Corsair II to TT for what they call "warble" when tuning main
tuning dial. When I received
it back it worked ok for about 3 weeks then same problem... so I decided
to try fixing it myself.

After 18 months and using a spare PTO (which had the same problem)
rebuilding each one many
times I finally found the trouble.

I found that where the 3 bearings meet the bearing race and the "V" in
tuning shaft that it was scored.
This I could only see with a good magnifying glass. The bearings are much
harder than the race and
the shaft so they were ok.. I polished the "V" part of the shaft by
putting the shaft in my drill (wrapped in
cloth so not to score the shaft with my drill). Using very fine emery
cloth and working down to using
newspaper and silver polish as final polishing. The bearing race is not
that easy. Just worked it down
by hand til it was polished like a mirror. Put all back together and used
good axle grease on the bearings
ONLY (used the Ten Tec red grease in the worm gear and slug mechanism).
Also when putting the
washers in on the back of pto use 3 washers stacked on each side.

Before making this repair I found that it would get just a little warble
at first but in a couple of days it
was worse. But, could tune from one end of the band to the other and it
would be fine for a few days...
This is what I think was happening.. Lubricant was ok in the bearing,
race and shaft area for a while
but after use in a small band segment the lubricant worked out of that
area and the warble appeared.
When tuning from one end of the band to the other it was ok again because
that forced lubricant back into
the bearing, race and shaft area therefore it was ok for a while.

Hope this helps someone.

73, Bob  AC5AM    (ex. K5QYY vintage 1958)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]