[TenTec] T-kit 3140 side tone

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] T-kit 3140 side tone
From: wlong@wmdc.edu (Bill Long)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:29:06 +0000
I just put together a T-kit 3140.  I'm quite happy with it but for one
problem:

The side tone is ear-splitting loud.  I have to turn the volume control all
the way down, using the side tone in my keyer when I transmit, then raise
the volume between transmissions so as to listen to the person I'm in QSO
with.

There's a 1k variable pot inside the case that adjusts the side tone level.
I already have that at its maximum low setting. So there's something else
amiss, either with the radio or with my construction of it.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate fix?  I'm new at kit building, this is my
first substantial project.

73,

Bill Long
NY3M