[TenTec] Re: 1340 side tone

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 1340 side tone
From: wlong@wmdc.edu (Bill Long)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:43:36 +0000
To Steve N4LQ and the group.

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help with the loud side tone
on my TT 1340 rig (which my fumble fingers called a 3140 in my request).

Especially to Steve N4LQ -- thanks for all your help diagnosing the problem
with my 1340 side tone.  There were in fact 2 things wrong with the radio.
First, D5 was in fact installed backward.  The one weak spot in the TenTec
manual was the description of the color coding on this diode.  The critical
green stripe they say marks the cathode end is exactly in the center of the
device.  I guessed wrong when I installed it.  The side tone volume isn't
bad now.

Second, removing C1 took away the loud click on key up.  This click was of
such high intensity that it was swamping the AGC circuit, so the radio would
receive nothing between letter elements.  There's still a faint click in
there, but it is not objectionable.  On-air reports indicate that it is
local to my speaker/headphones.  It doesn't appear on my transmitted signal.
 I would like at some point to get rid of it, and perhaps I will when I
learn a bit more about how the radio works.

Your clear, concise, patient tutorial was just what I had hoped to find when
I posted my original "help" message on the reflector.  It represents the
best of what I see in Ham Radio and I thank you for it.

73, it would be a pleasure to meet you on the air.

Bill NY3M