[TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 238 Tuner?
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:27:00 -0800
Duane;

I have a 238 which I use with my Omni VI/3.  I find the circuit superior
to the "usual" T-type circuit used in most other modern day tuners.
With the "T" I can usually find several combinations of the controls
that seem to work.  With the "L" circuit of the 238 I only get one.

 have
ye
t to find a tuner and antenna combination in which the tuner settings
are exactly repeatable.  With any tuner I have owned I make up a chart l
isting several frequencies per band and the corresponding tuner settings.
  These settings get me into the right ball park before applying
any power, but some minor re-tweaking of the controls is usually r
equired.

As far
as
 the Inductance dial pointer goes I have never considered it to be a prob
lem.  You must remember that a tuner is not a precision device and the
control markings are there only as a relative indicator.

I currently have a 238, an MFJ-986 Differential-T, and an SGC-230
remotely located auto tuner.  The 238 looks the "prettiest" and works
very well; the SGC "has no looks" works well and is fast; and the MFJ
is, well, "an MFJ".

Reid, K7YX