[TenTec] Paragon PLL out of lock problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon PLL out of lock problem
From: weingaertner@nac.net (Robert Weingaertner)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:15:41 -0500
Hi Charlie,

The Paragons had chronic PLL problems, mainly due to poor solder joints
on the "major loop" and "minor loop" boards. The usual fix is to
resolder all connections on both boards. However, if the problem seems
to be temperature related, there is an easier tweak to try first.
On the major loop board on some Paragons, there is a small pot
mounted at U3. You will find that turning this pot slightly in either
direction will cause the PLL to go in and out of lock. Set the pot
to the middle of the lock range. I found the optimum setting to be
with 3.2 V on the pot wiper.

If the problem persists, you may have a cold solder joint on the
highest range (22- 30 MHz) VCO on the major loop board. This is
the VCO located in the shield can on the far left side of the
major loop board, with the front panel of the rig facing you.
(There are 4 VCO's in shield cans on this board.

To check the alignment of the PLL, connect a dc meter to the test
point at the junction of Q1-C and Q3-C. The voltage should run
from about 2.8 V at 22 MHz to 7.7 V at 30 MHz.

The PLL boards are located on the top of the chassis, under the
shield cover where the FM option is mounted. The major loop is
toward the front and the minor loop is toward the rear.

I hope this info helps; I'm sure that you will fix the problem.

        73,     bob WB2VUF