[TenTec] On Contact Cleaning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] On Contact Cleaning
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:08:12 -0500 (EST)
Most of what comes out of the can does evaporate but a thin, lubricating
film is left behind giving many years of dependable switch operation. The
reason TenTec does not recommend contact cleaners is because they disolve
what is left of the factory's lubrication from the metal contacts. WD-40
will remove the undesirables and add to the lubrication. A good example of
how rugged this stuff is would be the electric razor application. About
once per year my Norelco starts screaming. A quick shot of WD-40 and the
blades will lubricate the blades for one year. This proves that the
lubricant doesn't just evaporate.

Be careful of this Deoxit craze. There seems to be several Deoxit products
with fancy sounding names that cost a lot of money. The boatanchor folks
seem to bow when the name is mentioned. All you have to do is mention the
word "contact" and 15 post immediately appear all extrolling the virtues
of this stuff. It's expensive and many folks feel that if something is
expensive then it must be the best.

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Dale L. Martin wrote:

> > Every
> >time, the scratchy, noisy pot or intermittent switch contact has
> been
> >instantly cured of it's ills. WD-40 cleans and lubricates the
> contact and it
> >is non conductive.
> >

> Am I wrong in my understanding that WD-40 is not a lubricant and
> that it evaporates and leaves little or nothing in the way of
> lubrication on the part?
>
> 73,
> dale, kg5u
>

> --