[TenTec] Kachina review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Kachina review
From: g.bold@auckland.ac.nz (Gary E. J. Bold)
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 10:41:01 +1300
Re:  Kachina review:

Thanks to all who offered useful information after my earlier post,
and I certainly did not intend to trigger a discussion about the merits
of computers that look like radios.  My apologies for inadvertantly starting
that strand of this thread.

Yes, I have looked at the Kachina website, yes, I do have the QST review,
and some other reviews.

And yes, I was only hoping for some informed comment from people who
were able to make comparisons.

For what it's worth, I found the receiver, filters, SSB quality etc excellent,
the interface became fairly intuitive (but then I use PCs all day).
But the QSK is deficient, and I repeat that I found the "live CW" option
(morse keyboard) sends "Farnsworth" morse - or mine did.  I was
hoping for some comments on that.   I too, will stick to radios with knobs.

Again, thanks to all who helped.  May the bands rise again so that I can
hear you all on the bottom of 20 from ZL

73, Gary ZL1AN