[TenTec] serial interface to Omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] serial interface to Omni V
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 00:12:20 -0000 (GMT)
Thanks for sight of Paul Smith's code for controlling the Omni-V.
This is exactly the software I saw sometime ago on a shareware disk.
>From memory, I do not believe it has been updated since the Omni-VI
was released with a more conventional RS232 interface.

The OMNIV.DOC file describes very accurately the problems of talking
to a free running serial interface that cannot be told to shut up,
because there is no provision for XON/XOFF handshake signals. This
highlights the practical problems I found with other software - it
works OK as long as the software just reads the Omni-V interface from
time to time (for example, when making a new log entry). Problems
arise (a) if you try to control the rig from the software, and (b) if
you use any of the digital function buttons on the Omni-V; (c) if you
leave the software set to read the interface continuously.

For (a) I guess the software has not only to send instructions to the
rig; it has then to check that the interface was actually listening
at the time (not sending) and that the instruction was carried out
correctly. It has to keep checking (and re-sending, if necessary)
until it reads the sent info correctly back from the Omni interface.
This is a real lottery if you are also tuning across the band at the
same time.

For (b) I discovered that pressing the REV button (to check where I
was in a pile-up) fouled up the log entry. To be precise, it got
seriously confused by the interface data signal when REV was activated
to switch to the frequency of VFO B. Paul Smith warns that hitting the
digital buttons (mode, band, filters, etc) causes his programme to
crash. I gave up on it for that reason; I did not wish to have to
use the programme all the time instead of hitting buttons.

For (c) note that because the interface signal is unstoppable, the
logging software has no control - it has to keep up with what the
interface sends. Thats why occasional sampling at the time of making
a log entry is the safest bet with the Omni-V.

In answer to another question, the interface is built-in, on the
micro controller board. Its not a pluggable option. That makes it
kind of tough to modify - and it might be necessary to do a lot more
than bring out the RS232 lines needed to make the modifed interface
respond completely to external control. OK, there are a lot of
Omni-Vs out there, but I guess that TT re-engineering the micro
board/RS232 interface (for an obsolete model) is not very attractive.

Now if the Omni-VI micro controller board would just drop in there
with minimal modification, I'd be very tempted to try it.  But that
is surely wishful thinking.

I conclude that the suggestion to upgrade to the latest Omni-VI is
the best solution for those who must have full software control.

AND as soon as someone is kind enough to ship an Omni-VI Plus to me I
will be very happy to test my theories in practice.

For now, I'll stick to reading the interface only when I want to make
a log entry. That works fine; sending instructions to the thing has
unpredictable results, depending on what the interface is doing at
the time.

John G3JAG

To: <tentec@contesting.com>

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk