[TenTec] SCOUT Questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SCOUT Questions
From: lstolz@gcfn.org (Lynn D Stolz)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:51:58 -0500 (EST)

Folks,

I'm considering getting a scout.  I'm sure a lot has been hashed over
before, but I'd like to hear what folks who have them feel about the
following two issues:

1.      The 13.8V vs 12.5V debate.  It seems that there is some agument
over whether the scout goes wacky or not at the lower voltage.  What is
the empirical evidence?  Do they ALL have the problem or not?  There is a
ham that jumps at every opportunity to bad mouth the scout everytime someone
asks the question.  Is this true or is it a vendetta against T-T because
they did not resolve this issue to his satisfaction?

2.      The CW transmit jump.  My understanding is that when using the
built-in keyer the transmit frequency may jump a bit because the
microprocessor is busy with keying instead of frequency sampling.  That I
understand well.  Question is--does the scout exhibit this IF I USE AN
EXTERNAL KEYER?

Lynn, N8AJ

-
Lynn Stolz  N8AJ -- lstolz@gcfn.org