[TenTec] Delta II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Delta II
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:09:45 -0500
> How well does the noise blanker work?
It works very well.  There is a bit of an audio note change to CW
sigs, but it's hardly discernible while driving.

>What would you compare the Delta II to in present rigs on the
market?
Dunno the other rigs....

>What should a good one cost me?

$700 ??  I bought mine for a couple hundred more with the P/S and
about a year or so ago.  So, $700 may be about right.

I took a quick trip down to Orlando ( for Nat'l Hurricane
Conference) and had a great time on the road with my Delta II.
My problem is that I NEED the micro-control head-radio in my car
(Saturn SC2 -- coupe).  The Delta II takes up more than half the
leg space of the passenger floor.

The LCD (backlight on and off) was never a problem reading in
bright FL sun or at night.

The VFO seemed stable (I did tighten down the collar adjustment
when I first put the radio in the car--I like my tabletop radio
VFO's loose) over rough roads--and there's a LOT of road work
between here and there--I am SO sick of "speeding fines double in
work areas" signs--WHO are they addressing here?? I guess the
same people who don't get in lotteries until the pot's up to 80
million--just not worth it until then. anyway.....

The QSK, as usual, was smooth as silk and a definite pleasure to
operate in a mobile environment (you hear every lid tuning up on
you--then asking QRL? duh).

The PBT and filter worked very well.  The receiver sensitivity is
excellent.  I had a weak sig calling me.  Turned out to be a
TF....answering my CQ!!  Adjusting the filter a bit tighter
seemed to improve his sig.

The few times I used the RIT, I would inadvertently leave it on.
I know there was at least one instance where I got back in the
car, turned the radio on, and started CQ'ing....ended up CQ'ing
about a dozen times before realizing the RIT was on and I was
listening about a 3/4 kHz low.  Hate when that happens.....

I recently bought a mic, but didn't take it with me.  So, can't
comment on the SSB performance of the radio...in fact, I have
never operated SSB on the radio; in the house or in the car.

I did get one comment from someone who went to great lengths to
tell me my signal had ac hum.  I asked a few other stations
during QSO's with them about it and no one could hear a thing.
Either the guy was having a bad day or his radio was the problem.

Overall, the Delta II was a fun radio in the car.  That it is so
big is my only problem with it.  If I do pick up a
micro-control-head-type-radio, I'll probably have this one on the
market.

73,
Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

.

>What else would you recommend for mid size mobile? I need at
least 100
>watts, two vfo's and warc bands. I already have (3)  544
Tritons, (1) Omni
>C, (1) Omni VI plus, and a Scout. Have used the 544s and the
Scout mobile
>for years and both are great. 544s have best noise blanker ever
created, but
>no warc bands and one vfo only. Scout-good noise blanker,
outstanding
>receiver, ONE VFO and only 50 watts. So you see what I am
looking for.....a
>Scout with two vfos. AGAIN, WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND? What do you
have that you
>want to get rid of? PLEASE EMAIL DIRECT!!!!!!!Thanks and 73,
John, K5PGW

http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm