[TenTec] TenTec/ Harley/beverages

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec/ Harley/beverages
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 06:08:52 -0500
Hang on a minute.

Just exactly how many times a day, week, month, do any of us NEED
to use another language?

It's because of necessity and proximity that other countries
environs are multi-lingual.  Here in the U.S., we can go hundreds
and hundreds of miles and still find english spoken by 99 percent
of the population.  In Europe you can drive a couple of hours and
you are in need of an interpreter.

Sure, we should know the language of those we are dealing with on
a business level, but if our day-to-day lives don't involve
second, third, etc., language opportunities, then what?  Where's
the point?

As ham radio operators, we have the unique opportunity to be able
to learn to speak not just a couple of languages, but literally
hundreds of languages and dialects.  Do we?  No.  Why?  99.9-100
percent of our operating is done in english.  That's not
necessarily a bad thing.  After all, for a foreign ham, ham radio
may be his/her opportunity to learn english.

As far as some people having better english grammar than some
Americans, so what?  There are many Americans who have better and
worse grammar than other Americans--I know my grammar needs work.
You can find all sorts of opportunities for the red pen in this
little dissertation.

Listen to the language of some of the television and radio
programs.  Even the local TV news shows have some of the worst
grammar I've ever heard.

Don't forget that there's someone out there that can do CW faster
and better than you and me.  That doesn't mean that our CW speed
or ability is necessarily lacking, though--thank goodness for
Ten-Tec radios that make CW improvement easier and more fun.

It's the same with grammar: Some people are better at it than
others, American and non-American.

73,
dale, kg5u