[TenTec] Scout freq change every 13 secs?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout freq change every 13 secs?
From: moorea@andovercontrols.com (Moore,Andrew)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:54:47 -0400

I just got a new Scout from Ten Tec, and I'm noticing that every 13
seconds the receive frequency changes by what seems like only one
hertz (just barely noticable), then gradually drifts back up by the
same amount, then suddently corrects itself again 13 seconds later,
etc. -- this cycle continues "forever" -- or at least for as long as I
was listening.

The Scout had been powered on for several hours, only receiving
so it should have been sufficiently warmed up and stable.  I also
tried powering it off and back on again, a trick that I heard should
"reset" some part of the frequency correction circuit in case it had
drifted farther than the circuit could compensate.  No difference.

I first noticed this behavior when listening to CW signals (it
occurred on all of them), and then I tuned to a carrier from a
foreign broadcast station on 40m -- same behavior.

I've listened for this problem only on 40 meters, so I'll check 30 and
80 (my other two modules) tonight to see if I can isolate the problem
to either the band module or the Scout.

I've owned about three Scouts before this, and I don't remember ever
hearing this behavior.  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any idea
what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew, NV1B