[TenTec] Filter capacity of Omni 6???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Filter capacity of Omni 6???
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:51:01 +0100 (BST)
Sounds about right. Its exactly the same as the Omni-V, but in the
6+ you get to choose from two possible additional (optional) filters
at 9 mHz instead of just one. Only two filters at 9 mHz can actually
be in use at any one time, even if you fill both option slots.
Whatever is selected at 9 mHz (either just the stock SSB filter, or
the SSB filter plus  one other filter) is always cascaded with only
one selected filter at 6.3 mHz. So you normally have at least 14 poles
in series, (assuming one of the optional filters has only 6 poles)
but it could be as many as 24, if you have two cascaded 8 pole filters
at 9 mHz and one 8 pole filter at 6.3 mHz, for example. On SSB with
just the stock filters, it will be 16 poles total.

Now if that 9 mHz two added filter option was possible on the Omni-V,
I'd be very happy, because I'd have somewhere to put that 9 mHz 1.8
kHz filter I have here in a box.

John G3JAG

On 24-Apr-99 Steve Ellington N4LQ wrote:

> Now you've got me confused. I thought in the 6,  the 2.4khz filter
> was
> always in-line and you were able to add one more filter in cascade
> in the
> 9mhz IF.  Then in the 6+ they allow a choice of one other filter to
> be
> cascaded with the same 2.4khz filter, not 2 at the same time. Then
> in the
> 6.3khz if you could add one filter at a time. So it goes like this.
>
> 9mhz if: ( 2.4khz, 8 poles fixed)  plus ONE of your choice of 2
> optional
> filters totaling 16 poles max.
>
> 6.3mhz if: your choice of ONE  4 filters thus adding another 8
> poles for a
> total of 24 poles max.
>
> Am I right or did someone sneak one in on me?
>

>>Thanks Yuri for the clarification.  I think I finally
>>have it straight (duh).
>>
>>Could someone confirm my understanding that:
>>
>>1. The capability of cascading two 9Mhz if filters was
>>missing in the original Omni 6, but was added in the
>>option 3 upgrade to the Omni 6
>>
>>2.  An Omni 6 opt 3 has the full filter holding
>>capacity of the Omni 6 plus.
>>

>>Thanks & 73,
>>Barry   N1EU
>>
>>--- K3BU@aol.com wrote:
>>>
>>> In a message dated 4/24/99 7:34:07 AM Eastern
>>> Daylight Time, n1eu@yahoo.com
>>> writes:
>>>
>>> <<
>>>  Would appreciate clarification of the filter
>>> holding
>>>  capacity of the Omni 6.  I believe it will hold 3
>>>  filters in the 9Mhz and 4 filters in the 6Mhz ifs
>>> (or
>>>  is that only the plus)? Are all these filter
>>> positions
>>>  replaceable or is one each of them factory
>>>  installed/non-replaceable?  Is there a standard
>>>  filter(s) shipped with the rig and, if so, which
>>> one
>>>  is it? >>
>>>

>>> Hi Barry,
>>> Capacity in OMNI VI+ is one plug in filter 9 MHz,
>>> then next stage has two 9
>>> MHz plug in spaces (cascaded to the first one) then
>>> 4 spaces plug in in 6 MHz
>>> IF.
>>> Just finished playing with IR filters and it looks
>>> like this is only rig on
>>> the market that allows 3 filters to be cascaded
>>> without elaborate wiring and
>>> switching. I am planning to load up either SSB or CW
>>> combo, depending which
>>> contest is coming.
>>> TenTec filters are excellent and cascading makes
>>> some sharp skirts.
>>>
>>> GL
>>> Yuri K3BU
>>>
>>> --