[TenTec] QRM/QRNN

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRM/QRNN
From: k4wj@att.net (John/K4WJ)
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 12:55:06 -0400
At 09:51 AM 5/2/99 -0400, Joe L Blackwell wrote:

>> we were told that the "M" in QRM meant man-made, and the "N" in
>>QRN meant nature-made. I hadn't come across QRNN before today.
>
>Same here.  I go pretty far back and never heard of a 4-letter Q signal.
>We used Q and Z signals, all 3-letter, on CW nets in the Pacific.
>73,
>Joe, AA4NN

Joe et al,

>From ACP 131(B) dated July 1964, QRM is defined as follows:

QRM: Question - Are you being interfered with?

     Answer, Advice or Order - I am being interfered with
                (1. nil
                 2. slightly
                 3. moderately
                 4. severely
                 5. extremely).

QRN: Question - Are you troubled by static?
     Answer, Advice or Order - I am troubled by static
                (1. nil
                 2. slightly
                 3. moderately
                 4. severely
                 5. extremely).

>From the 35th edition of the ARRL Handbook (1958), it says the same thing
except that the degree of the problem is not shown by numbers.

Hmmmmm! I was getting ready to argue with Mr. Koeppe about QRNN. I've
challenged him on the air about QRNN and he said it was used out in
California to indicate static whose source is from power lines.

Based on Allied Communications Publication 131(B) and the 35th edition of
the ARRL Handbook I don't think I have too much of an argument to prove him
wrong. For some unknown reason I always attributed QRN to natural static
(lightning) and not man made (power lines), but the above definition
doesn't say anything about natural static.

Roy, can you add more to this as far as when you first heard QRNN being used?
I'm assuming this is a California thing. Anyone else have something to add?
73..de John/K4WJ
        John/K4WJ in Pembroke Pines, FL
     QTH is 26 00 51 N
            80 16 16 W