[TenTec] 6N2 Multimode Rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 6N2 Multimode Rig
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:15:28 -0700 (PDT)
The Kachina sells better than most people think and I
believe the Pegasus will be TTs biggest selling rig
ever.  Here is one big advantage.  Many hams have to
have their station on a second floor where station
grounding is difficult and there are always problems
with ground loops and RF on cable shields.  The
Pegasus can be placed on a bottom floor or in a
basement with a proper station ground and operated via
the RS232 interface from the computer anywhere in the
house.  I own an RX-320 and have it in the attic where
I get good reception with a remote tuned loop.  I
listen to it on the first floor using a Black Box
remote RS-232 controller.

Now to go one step further.  My radio club has a
Kachina installed in the clubhouse hooked up to a
tower full of beams and operated with a networked PC
via the internet.  Many of our members are seniors who
are in restricted developments or in assisted living
quarters.  With a little instruction they can log into
the Kachina over the internet and work HF during the
day or night without leaving the home and not needing
antennas  or any equipment at all.  The Kachina remote
has proved so popular that it has a full time
volunteer booking agent who keeps the schedule.  But
it has allowed a lot of guys to continue in the hobby
and every family member claims that getting their
senior ham back on the air has greatly improved their
health and wellness.  So if the pegasus at half the
price will do the same then TT will sell all they can
make.  But we all have a choice and there are plenty
of radios out there that still have knobs on them, FOR
NOW.  But I see the future and the future is rigs like
the pegasus.  I can see many advantages and have my
order in for one of each, a Pegasis and a 6N2.

--- "M.Pender" <steam@megsinet.net> wrote:

> Wow, the 6n2 sure sounds like it's gonna be a
> winner.
> I'll be looking seriously at it when it's available.
> I have
> an Icom 821h, and consider it serious overkill for
> what
> I do on vhf, and it doesn't have six meters.
>
> Just when some of us were losing faith in Ten-Tec's
> product line, they drop a couple of bombs. Bravo!!!
>
> I sure wish Ten-Tec would have put a "FACE" on the
> Pegasus
> though, or maybe produced a version with a face.
>
> I, for one, certainly don't need my computer to
> control the
> rig, thank you. Maybe it was much cheaper to only
> use the
> interface, since the new rigs have it anyway, and
> just omit
> the front of the rig! I think that a very small
> percentage
> of hams are interested in a computer-only rig. But,
> maybe
> I'm wrong. We'll see how well it sells. Anybody know
> how well
> the Kachina sells??
>
> Just a couple of thoughts... Mike

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>        Mike Pender   N9IVO:   Chicago, Illinois,
> U.S.A.
>        E-Mail:          steam@megsinet.net
>        Web Page: : http://www.megsinet.com/~steam
>        Fax:              708-795-7003

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com
> Search:
> http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

"No man is safe while the congress is in session" (Will Rogers)