[TenTec] 20 Meter Scout Loop Antenna

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 20 Meter Scout Loop Antenna
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:53:06 +0100 (BST)
I have used similar antennas for years. If you have only one pole or
tree, then use it in a diamond shape. Tie the corners out with string
if you do not (or cannot) use a horizontal spreader.
The bottom of the diamond should be as high off the ground
as possible, but for a long time I used a 40m loop as low as 3 feet at
the base. To get that clearance I had to drag the bottom of the loop
sideways about ten feet from the metal pole.

Oh yes. Why not feed the thing at the top if you can (applies mainly
to diamond versions)? I now use heavy duty ladderline which goes to a
balun outside my home. Its very much lighter than coax and has low
losses. Then I have 20 feet of RG-8 from the balun to the 253 ATU.

The 20m diamond with its base 20 feet up (fed at the base before I
knew any better) was a flame thrower. It was several S points better
than a half wave vertical with 80-odd radials. I used the 40m diamond
to work D2CW on all bands 160-10, but 160 was pushing it a lot. It did
work fairly well on 80 (VR6BB first call) and it was certainly good on
40/30.
John G3JAG - recuperating from Dayton.

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk