[TenTec] Re: OMNI-V S-meter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: OMNI-V S-meter
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 17:34:06 -0500
Howdy,

This might get more responses started. I traded my V in several years ago,
but I think the offset pot was for calibrating the meter around the middle
of its scale, S-5 or so. The main calibration pot was for S-9. In other
words, together they attempt to linearize the readings.

Another related topic: There was a free up-date mod. kit came out for the V.
It greatly improved RCV performance by almost eliminating hiss and more
importantly, eliminating an AGC related, "swishing" sound in the audio
during QRN crashes (most pronounced on the low bands). This swishing noise
effectively degraded the S/N ratio--in a similar fashion that XTAL filters
can do if they ring too much.

TT sent me the free kit, which I installed on the proverbial kitchen table.
It consisted of approximately 5 small components. Two boards had to be
removed. Afterwards, a very simple re-aligning of several slugs was
necessary, using the S-meter. Then the S-meter required calibrating.

The update made a startling improvement in the V. Well worth pursuing!! I
think the kit was first mentioned in a QST review article; it since has been
sort of lost track of.

73,   Roy    K6XK