[TenTec] a fair question...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] a fair question...
From: james.owen@nist.gov (James Owen)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:44:28 -0400

Steve Baron wrote:

> Biggest - only - advantage of the 820 would be the additional output power
> available with the QRO kit.

Not worth talking about. The Corsair will go to 110W, more if you push
it a little and the 820 will do 125-130w.

> The receiver - well, I wouldn't even try to compare an 820 to any TT rig.

Well I think I said that the Corsair II would be my choice of the two. I
have both setting side by side with A-B switching. Everything the
Corsair II hears even on 10M the 820 hears. There is no difference in
the noise coming out of the speaker since no synth. in either no synth.
noise. The Corsair has narrower filtering and hence better rejection of
QRM. However, with the wider filters the 820 sounds smoother on SSB. The
Corsair has QSK the 820 doesn't but in general it doesn't bother ME. The
Corsair has a notch the 820 doesn't. The Corsair has the WARC bands, the
820 doesn't . The Corsair needs a tuner if the SWR exceeds about 2.5:1
especially if the impedance is on the low side <50 ohms. The 820 doesn't
care as long as the SWR is less than about 4:1. In fact the Pi-net might
be considered and is a tuner. The 820 of course has 3 tubes and is a
power hog if run on batteries.
   My point after all that was what I said in the first post. IF you
don't have the money for a Corsair I or II it's worth considering the
TS-820. If you have the money then by all means take the Corsair.

73 Jim K4CGY