[TenTec] Omni vi+ optical encoder

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni vi+ optical encoder
From: wb0cff@hotmail.com (Carl R. Gansen)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:16:14 PDT
Thanks for the input Pat;

I have read the operators manual and was familiar with
the operation of the drag.

In my case I had moved the knob out as a step in the
troubleshooting process so that the drag pads were not
touching and it was still stiff with a distinct rotational
spot that was even tighter.  After loosening the encoder
retaining nut (maybe 1/3 to 1/6 rotation at most) the encoder
turned smoothly again. I was then able to seat the knob so
that the drag pads barely touched down. I could easily adjust
the drag as desired from that point on.  The mechanism is
quite clever and works well when all is adjusted correctly.

For cases similar to this there may be degrees of recovery.
It is hard to imagine, but at worst case, I suppose it could be tightened to
the point that there is a permanent deformation
that will not relax back.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>