[TenTec] Playing the Mic Game

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Playing the Mic Game
From: vbbond@ix.netcom.com (vbbond@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:15:18 -0700
Hi All:
     I blessed my household three weeks ago with a brand new Omni 6+ and
have been enjoying it immensely on CW. About 20% of my operation is on
SSB and I've been caught up in playing the game of musical chairs with
various mics in an effort to find one that is "just right" (whatever
that means) with my voice.
     I've tried the Heil Pro-set (with HC-5), a xtal D-104
(straight-through with no pre-amp), a stock Shure 444, an Electro Voice
630, and an old Shure with an early Heil HC-3 element. The Pro-set was
somewhat thin, the Electro Voice was terribly bassy, the Shure 444
sounded okay without processing but bad with processing (due probably to
the amount of bass response inherent in the mic) and the D-104 sounded
okay (with processing on). The problem with the non-amp'd D-104 is that
it requires the VOX gain be advanced all the way up (15) and then some.
In its non-amp'd form, it does not offer a lot of output, at least on my
25-year-old D-104. The Shure drives the pants off the Omni, on the other
hand.
    Of late, I've heard a few Omni's with the TT 705 electret desk mic,
and although lacking somewhat in crisp articulation, they sound
reasonably good. Wonder what advantages this mic offers over others you
fellas may have tried in terms of performance, sensitivity (i.e. high
output so that the VOX circuit performs smoothly) etc. I am debating
whether to find a good, clean used 705 and give it a try. Your
experience either on or off line of the reflector would be valuable.
     Otherwise, the Omni arrived from TT with 100% function, zero
defects, and coupled with my Hercules II, just a fabulous rig.

                                    Vince/K7NA
                                    Carlsbad, CA.