[TenTec] Playing the Mic Game

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Playing the Mic Game
From: vbbond@ix.netcom.com (vbbond@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:15:05 -0700
List (Especially new Omni6+ Owners):

     Having recently acquired a new Omni 6+, I decided to confound and
bore my ham friends to death by playing microphone musical chairs with
the assorted microphones I've collected over the past 38 years.
     I tried a D-104 (non-amp'd), shure 444, Electro Voice 630 and a
Heil Pro-set (with HC-5 element). Long story short: none totally filled
the bill for me.
     Subsequently, a query to his reflector revealed similar results
from several other Omni users. The consensus that emerged: try the Ten
Tec 705 desk mic. I thus ordered one and received it a week ago.
     I can say that it does, in fact, deliver clean, clear audio and
lots of it. Most of the reports I am now receiving describe my audio as
"very natural and life like." I also find that I no longer have to run
the vox gain wide open in order to properly trigger the circuit. My mic
gain and processer controls all are now at 8:30-9 o'clock levels.
     If you're in a quandry as to a reasonably priced "natural sounding"
electret desk mic, give the TT705 a try. Virtually everyone on this
reflector who recommended the TT705 told me I would keep it if I tried
it. They're right!
                                       Vince/K7NA