[TenTec] [Q] Temp ctrl Fan available?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [Q] Temp ctrl Fan available?
From: pklein@2alpha.net (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:19:54 -0700
Joe L Blackwell <aa4nn@juno.com> wrote:

>I took a 12vdc fan from a PC power supply and run it off the 12vdc out
>of the Omni VI+.  Fan comes on when the rig is turned on.  Heat sinks
>were getting hot just running 40wpm CW.  Fan does the trick.  Those
>PC fans are whisper quiet.

I also use a PC power supply fan running off the 12 vdc phono socket on the
back of my Omni VI.  I added a couple of 100 ohm resistors in parallel in
the line to slow the fan slightly, which really cuts down on the whine.
This fan just stands on th table behind the Omni, blowing air across the
finals' heat sink. The vanes run horizontal, so blowing across works well,
and keeps the finals nice and cool.  I don't need much air for normal
operation (CW, SSB, and PSK31 at 50-70 watts).  For 100% duty cycle RTTY at
full power, I'd use a larger fan.

The Ten Tec 962 power supply's heat sink vanes are vertical.  I use a
larger 110 vac "muffin fan" I got surplus years ago.  It stands a couple of
inches behind the power supply and blows directly onto the heat sink.  With
no fan, the power supply tends to get quite hot with extended transmitting.
 With the fan, it barely gets warm.

Both fans stand on pieces of old mouse pad.  This keeps them in place and
prevents the fan noise from using the table as a sound board.

I figure all this is life insurance for the components.

73 from KD7MW,

--- Peter