[TenTec] Amp for Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amp for Omni VI
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 01:26:10 +0100 (BST)
The Hercules II works just fine. Mine delivers an honest 500w quite
comfortably and its quiet fan rarely speeds up. I now have a 500w QSK
transceiver at the flick of a switch.

I use the matching 9420 100A power supply, wired for 230v AC; its been
fine since I located a dry joint in its control circuitry. It runs both
the Herc and the Omni-V, but the auto ATU runs from a separate 13v
supply.
(See previous threads on the limited and unfused current capacity of the
Omni accessory socket).

I cannot recommend running the 9420 on 117v AC. It pulls a lot of
current. Mine is on 240 AC, but occasionally it even trips a 60A
breaker in the main fuse box when I switch it on. Thats why I have a
separate AC feed to the packet radio machines and to the computer.
Yes, 100A is a heap of current, but at 13.5v its reasonably non-lethal !
Thats more than can be said for tube amps.

If you need more than 500w and you want to stay with solid state, then
in my view its no use going for just a 600w amp. You need to spend a lot
more and go for at least a KW. A few watts will not make a real
difference ... Note that gearing up to a higher power level can cause
an unexpected increase in TVI, through overloading the TV front ends.
Its not all good news.

73 John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>