[TenTec] Argosy 525

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy 525
From: caitlyn@netferrets.net (Caitlyn M. Martin)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:53:51 -0400
Hi, Jeff,

> I got my hands on a non-working Argosy 525 (analog). After a few hours
> of troubleshooting the little rig has sprung to life!

Congratulations!  I just got one in the last week and put it on the air this
weekend.  It is a neat rig, and performs well, even without the options and
accessories  :)

> I'm afraid I know nothing about this rig or it's vintage.

The ad that they have on the vintage Ten Tec equipment site is dated
November, 1981.  The digital version of the rig was available for many, many
years.

> It does have
> an Embedded Research AF-224 Audio Filter Kit installed. There doesn't
> appear to be a crystal filter for SSB and I don't even have a
> microphone.

It probably has a stock 4-pole crystal filter.  You can upgraded that to a
model 220 8-pole filter, which most folks say dramatically improves
performance.  I am going to do this upgrade myself.  You also have an
additional filter slot, which can accommodate a 1.8 khz SSB filter, or
additional CW crystal filters (250mhz or 500mhz).  One of the 500mhz filters
was just offered on the reflector.  All are still available new from Ten
Tec.  In addition, Inrad makes after market filters.  I've used their
filters in a Drake TR-7 some years ago, and they were very, very good
indeed.  I would be surprised if the Ten Tec replacement filters they make
are not excellent as well.

> 2. What options were available for this little rig?

OK, here goes:

225 matching power supply
1125 DC circuit breaker (for use without the 225, which had the overvoltage
protection circuitry)
1126 amplifier switch
645 or 670 electronic keyers
215 microphone (later 700A and 705A mics. were also sold for the later
Argosys and will work fine
223 noise blanker (223A for high serial numbers)
224 CW audio filter (you already have an equivalent filter)
226 calibrator
234 speech processor
mounting bracket

Can you tell I've been researching this?

> 3. Any recommendations for filters or other options?

I can't speak from personal experience, but if you go through the reflector
archives, you'll see the answers I got to exactly the same questions.  I am
opting for the 220, 218 (1.8 khz SSB filter) and 224 filters.  If I can find
a calibrator, I'm going to jump on it.  I have the power supply, and like
the Icom supplies, it can be remotely switched from the radio.  It's a nice
little unit.  I also have the 645 keyer, which I am now trying to teach
myself to use.  I've never done a lot of CW, and 100% of it has been with a
straight key, so the keyer takes some getting used to.

Good luck!

73,
Caity
KU4QD