[TenTec] Triton drive & power controls

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton drive & power controls
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:35:02 -1000

> Output power seems to be established on both CW and
> SSB with the Drive control.  The ALC,  when full clockwise,
> allows up to 200 watts INPUT,  when full counterclockwise,
> only up to 75 watts input.

Example,  just tried on my 544 Triton.

If I turn the ALC fully CCW,  then,  speaking into the mike
(a 215P),  when the ALC light first blinks,  20 watts of
output power is indicated.  No matter how high I turn on
up the Drive control,  no more than 20 watts is output
from the rig.  So,  I presume,  with the ALC limiting the
input to the final stages to 75 watts,  20 watts is what
comes out on peaks.

Best to leave the Drive as low as possible,  but just high
enough to get the 20 watts out on SSB peaks; that is,
the ALC light just blinks occasionally.

 If you turn the drive higher under this set up, the
distortion out will also probably increase.
If you lower the Drive,  the output power will continue
to drop on down,  but I don't know what the lowest output
might be.  If you want more Pout,  then turn the ALC up,
and again increase the Drive until the ALC light just
occasionally blinks again.

73,  Jim,  KH7M