[TenTec] Weak Sig/Filter BW [was:Ten-tec noise and RX questions}

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Weak Sig/Filter BW [was:Ten-tec noise and RX questions}
From: JimN0OCT@aol.com (JimN0OCT@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:01:56 EDT
Mmm, lunch!

My opinion on the narrow bandwidth/noise/weak signal phenomenon is that when
trying to copy a weak sig out of the noise, narrower is worse(er).  The
reason being, the noise is limited to a frequency bandwidth that is *really*
close to the frequency [say, 600 Hz] that you are trying to copy.  It's
harder for your brain to distinguish that.  Broaden the filter, and the weak
signal is easier to copy because the adaptive filtering in your head can pick
out as 'noise' all the garbage that is occuring in a wider [say 2,4 kHz BW]
filter, even the stuff close to that 600Hz tone you are trying to copy.

I have probably been clear as mud.  Turn your filters off/on as necessary to
get useful information from the above paragraph.

73, Jim
NØOCT