[TenTec] Ten-Tec Scout/Argo Frequency Jumping

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Scout/Argo Frequency Jumping
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 23:37:43 -0500
Hi All

Well alot has come down the pike about the Scout/Argo Frequency Jumping.  I
have a Argo 556 and operate it at the 18 to 25 WPM speed.  I WAS having the
FREQUENCY JUMP, how ever, tonight I did some testing.  I have not seen
anyone talk about any tests being done with their Scout/Argo.  Here is what
I did and the results.

    1.  Removed the top and bottom covers and made sure all hardware was
seated.  Also checked all connectors.

    2.  Made sure the station grounds were in good shape.  After all they
were installed 10 years ago and not checked since.

    3.  Set the Argo in its operating position and insured everything,
ground, coax, power and keyer leads were connected the as they should be.

    4.  Set my MFJ Keyboard Keyer at 25 WPM. Turned on the Argo to allow it
to warm up for 2 or 3 minutes.  Made sure the dry dummy load was hocked up
to the Argo.

    5.  Turned on my Omni VI Plus, made sure it was into the 2KW dummy load
and had the MFJ Keyboard/Keyer call CQ using one of the memories keying the
Argo.  Found the signal in the VI Plus, set both 250 Hz CW filters on, tuned
the PBT.  The bandpass is now about 190 Hz.

    6.  Now I keyed the Argo using the MFJ Keyboard Keyer for 15 minutes.
If I did not pause for about one second every 30 to 45 seconds, yes the Argo
would start to drift.  However, using the recommended method stated in the
manual, ie, pausing every 30 seconds or so the Argo was rock steady.  AT NO
TIME DID THE ARGO DRIFT OUT OF THE OMNI VI PLUS BANDPASS.

What did I learn?  How to operate the Argo by the MANUAL.  Great little rig
and alot of bang for the buck.

KEN--W8KEB--USAF Ret.
Ex-KA2HJY-N6EVC-KC0WN-NE0C
Flushing, Ohio