[TenTec] Scout Frequency Jumping

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Frequency Jumping
From: hmmjr@erols.com (The Motley Crew)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 06:27:06 -0500
Interesting thread but just about beat to death by now.  I had a Scout
and never liked the frequency correction by the microprocessor or
"jumping".  I sent it back and upon return it still did it so I returned
the rig for credit. My Scout was operated in the shack with a stiff
power supply, good wiring, proper ventilation, etc., etc.  It jumped due
to its design, not due to poor operating practices.  Of all the Scouts
I've heard on the air I've yet to hear one that didn't jump, at least a
little, on CW.(If you think you have one I'd like to hear it!) That's
really no big deal for a rig in its price range but it's annoying to me
since I operate 99% of the time on CW at speeds of 30 to 40 wpm.  For
me,  my CW note and keying is the most important thing about any rig I
use. That's why I went with Ten Tec in the first place.  I'd rather have
a rig that slowly drifts than one that jumps. Why should I have to pause
ever 30 seconds or so to let the microprocessor correct for drift and
jump?  I don't have to do that with any other Ten Tec rig I've used. My
544, Argonauts, Delta, Omni C, Delta II, and Paragon were/are all more
pleasing to me.  The Scout is a unique rig, fills a niche in the market,
and is loved by a lot of folks.  If you have one and are happy - that's
great.  As for me - I have and will pass on this rig.
73,
Puck, W4PM