[TenTec] Re: [TowerTalk] TEN-TEC OMINI VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [TowerTalk] TEN-TEC OMINI VI
From: ac5aa@juno.com (ac5aa@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:24:32 -0600
Slightly off the subject, but closely related - be aware that a bug in
the firmware causes the "REV" button to be OFF FREQUENCY by about 300 Hz
(if you run 700 Hz offset) when XIT/RIT is selected and REV is being
pressed.  It does not properly calculate the CW offset when XIT is on.
Scott Robbins reports it's on the list in case they ever decide to do a
firmware update on the VI+.  I sure hope they do as I see this as a
necessary control for working DX pileups.

        73,  Duane    AC5AA

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:47:21 -1000 "Jim Reid" <kh7m@hsa-kauai.net>
writes:

> Well,  I had written regarding split frequency
> operation using my Omni VI+:
>
> > > Also,  to
> > > listen to the VFO B frequency using the Omni,
> > > you press a button (REV),  and must hold it while
> > > listening,  then  release to transmit on VFO
> > > B, and go back to listening to the DX transmit
> > > frequency(VFO A) at your key up.  And to tune VFO B while
> > >operating  split,  you also must hold this button while
> > > turning the tuning knob. [or,  you may push the
> A/B button,  then the main tuning knob adjusts VFO B,
> push A/B again,  and the indicated display frequency
> is back to VFO A,  and at key down,  the display
> will instantly switch  to VFO B to indicate the transmit
> frequecny].
>
> I wrote the above contemplating operating in the split
> mode,  using VFO A, rcv'ng tuned to the DX transmitting
> frequency,  and with my intention to transmit on
> VFO B where I hoped he would be listening having
> just completed a QSO there with someone else,  thus
> my explantaion of how I use my Omni. So I would
> release the REV button the instant I heard a TU
> from that other station,  and key immediately
> there.  This is just easier to accomplish,  it seems
> to me,  using a rig,  such as the 1000D,  with
> which you can listen to both frequencies simultanesouly
> because of the dual receivers in the rig.
>
> Now, Ed,  K4SB wrote:
> >
> > Jim, we've either got different radios or you have a typo in the
> > above somethwere.
>
> Well,  what I have written applies exactly to my Omni
> REV button use.  You can also press A/B,  which for
> the moment will switch you to the VFO B frequency
> without having to hold the REV button.  But if you transmit
> while in split doing this,  you will go back and transmit
> on VFO A,  where you had been listening to the DX,
> and you would transmit on top of him. You can also
> change the VFO B frequency when the A/B button
> has been pressed,  and the green light is lit beside
> VFO B
>
> To say it another way,  with the Omni VI+ operating
> with the split mode selected  (SPLIT button pressed),
> you get the red light 'on' beside the word split,  and
> you will listen with the VFO which has the green light
> beside it lit;  and you will transmit using the other
> VFO frequency,  whichever it may be; and, during the
> moments of key down,  the green light will switch
> to the other  VFO also.   To listen to what may be
> at this other  VFO frequency,  you must momentarily press
> the REV button before transmitting.  Or, if you press the
> A/B button to listen on your intended transmit freq.,
> you cannot now transmit,  as before in the split mode,
> you will transmit back on top of the DX transmitting
> frequency unless you again press A/B just prior to key
> down.
>
> At least that seems to be the way my Omni works!  Is
> there another way?  I believe I have carefully read the
> manual,  and that is what I think I have found to be the
> [...]

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
ac5aa@juno.com -or- ac5aa@earthlink.net
Day:  dacalvin@us.ibm.com