[TenTec] Re: [TowerTalk] TEN-TEC OMINI VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [TowerTalk] TEN-TEC OMINI VI
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:47:21 -1000
Well,  I had written regarding split frequency
operation using my Omni VI+:

> > Also,  to
> > listen to the VFO B frequency using the Omni,
> > you press a button (REV),  and must hold it while
> > listening,  then  release to transmit on VFO
> > B, and go back to listening to the DX transmit
> > frequency(VFO A) at your key up.  And to tune VFO B while
> >operating  split,  you also must hold this button while
> > turning the tuning knob. [or,  you may push the
A/B button,  then the main tuning knob adjusts VFO B,
push A/B again,  and the indicated display frequency
is back to VFO A,  and at key down,  the display
will instantly switch  to VFO B to indicate the transmit
frequecny].

I wrote the above contemplating operating in the split
mode,  using VFO A, rcv'ng tuned to the DX transmitting
frequency,  and with my intention to transmit on
VFO B where I hoped he would be listening having
just completed a QSO there with someone else,  thus
my explantaion of how I use my Omni. So I would
release the REV button the instant I heard a TU
from that other station,  and key immediately
there.  This is just easier to accomplish,  it seems
to me,  using a rig,  such as the 1000D,  with
which you can listen to both frequencies simultanesouly
because of the dual receivers in the rig.

Now, Ed,  K4SB wrote:

> Jim, we've either got different radios or you have a typo in the
> above somethwere.

Well,  what I have written applies exactly to my Omni
REV button use.  You can also press A/B,  which for
the moment will switch you to the VFO B frequency
without having to hold the REV button.  But if you transmit
while in split doing this,  you will go back and transmit
on VFO A,  where you had been listening to the DX,
and you would transmit on top of him. You can also
change the VFO B frequency when the A/B button
has been pressed,  and the green light is lit beside
VFO B

To say it another way,  with the Omni VI+ operating
with the split mode selected  (SPLIT button pressed),
you get the red light 'on' beside the word split,  and
you will listen with the VFO which has the green light
beside it lit;  and you will transmit using the other
VFO frequency,  whichever it may be; and, during the
moments of key down,  the green light will switch
to the other  VFO also.   To listen to what may be
at this other  VFO frequency,  you must momentarily press
the REV button before transmitting.  Or, if you press the
A/B button to listen on your intended transmit freq.,
you cannot now transmit,  as before in the split mode,
you will transmit back on top of the DX transmitting
frequency unless you again press A/B just prior to key
down.

At least that seems to be the way my Omni works!  Is
there another way?  I believe I have carefully read the
manual,  and that is what I think I have found to be the
case.  Maybe I missed a simultaneous dual rcv function
instruction somewhere in the manual.

73,  Jim,  KH7M