[TenTec] Pegasus and a ray-gun

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and a ray-gun
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington N4LQ)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 11:03:27 -0500
The shield on the Pegasus serial jack is isolated from chassis ground.
Normally in data communication equipment, only one end of the cable's
shield is grounded thus preventing ground loops. I had a little noise
too and found that grounding my serial jack to the Pegaus's board
helped somewhat. This will vary with installations. TenTec recommended
I try this BTW.

Yes, the PC power supply is the most common cause of noise at
different points in the band. Simply take it apart and solder a .01mfd
capacitor from each lead of the ac cord to ground. This ususally
eliminates most of it.

These kind of problems are not limited to the Pegasus. Any rig sitting
next to a comuter can have them especially if it is interfaced to the
PC. Using a random length antenna to a tuner in the shack is the
easiest way to get PC QRM!
Steve N4LQ