[TenTec] Pegasus and a ray-gun

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and a ray-gun
From: adb1x1@yahoo.com (Anthony Bowyer)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 05:47:44 -0800 (PST)

  If, while tuning your Pegasus, you've heard a
strange signal that sounds like a child's ray gun or a
sound effect from a bad sci-fi movie, I found out what
it is. I initially thought it was a birdie, but I
found out that it's a signal being generated from the
RS-232 port in the PC that connects to the Pegasus. I
put a couple of split ferrite chokes on each end of
the cable and that attenuated the signal, but not as
much as I'd like. Like most newer motherboards, the
serial ports are on the motherboard. In my case, there
are headers on the board, and a piece of ribbon cable
connects the header to the RS-232 connectors mounted
on the back of the case. I wound as much of the ribbon
cable as i could around a toridal core, about 3/4" in
diameter (they came from old diskless workstations, so
I'm not sure of their characteristics), and that
attenuated about 98% of the signal. I can only hear it
very-very faintly on a few freqs when there are no
signals.