[TenTec] Best Straight Key

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Best Straight Key
From: N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 09:20:43 -0500
Hello Ari--

Straight keys are pretty much all the same.  The ones to avoid have a bent
piece of sheet metal that has holes for the armature pivot points.

It is the use of the things which gives folks the most trouble.  There is an
old wives' tale which says the key ought be straight back from the body so
that the arm is straight forward as it is sending.  This does NOT work for
me!  I position the key to my left, about even with my left shoulder.  Then
my right arm from shoulder to elbow extends straight forward so that my
elbow rests on the table and is bent at an almost 90º angle.  This gives me
much more control over the movement of my lower arm.

The next step is the position of the fingers on the key knob.  The index and
middle finger tips ride the top of the knob.  The thumb rests to the side of
the knob.  In my case, my thumb touches both the side of the knob and my
index finger.

Finally, the wrist must be kept off the desk at all times when sending.  The
wrist is kept flexible and once the proper 'feel' is achieved, you will note
that the wrist goes down when sending and not up.  If the wrist goes up when
sending, then one is sending from the hand and wrist instead of properly
with the entire forearm.

Recently a fellow, skilled in the use of the straight key, asked me what key
he could move to that would help him increase his speed.  There is a big
difference in my mind between just being able to send and receive code and
being what I term an "operator."  Here's what I told him:
Hi Dennis--

Everybody has opinions and here are mine:

In general I believe it is best to learn to send code mechanically, i.e.
with a straight key, sideswiper or bug.

A.  A would-be operator ought begin with a straight key.  At first it is
easier to send faster than one can receive.

B.  When an operator begins to have trouble writing down the received code
as fast as he can send, it is time to start putting down the pencil and
copying in his head.

C.  When the operator can copy faster than he can send, it is time to
consider a different method of sending.  My preference is for learning
either the bug or the sideswiper.  The reason for this is as follows:
becoming fluent with the code involves the whole body's learning the rhythm
of the code.  Learning this rhythm then allows the operator to become the
most proficient in understanding not only what is received, but what was
meant by the words received.  This is perhaps a difficult concept and I will
try to explain.
    When we converse face to face, only about 15% of the information
conveyed is conveyed by the words.  The other 85% of the information is
conveyed in body language, rhythm, intonation, etc.
    On CW, we have only words and rhythm available to convey what it is that
we mean, so the rhythm is very important!

D.  Some keying methods eliminate the rhythm.  These are computer and
keyboard generated code and iambic keying.  For that reason, I do not care
for those methods, even though in theory they can produce what many call
"perfect code."  It is as if everyone spoke with exactly the same "perfect"
voice and sounded just the same.  It is BORING to me.  For me, "perfect
code" is achieved when everybody sounds just a bit different from one
another, and when I can even pick up on the other operator's excitement or
sadness from the variations in his rhythm.

E.  If you want to learn the sideswiper, it is easier to learn it before you
learn to use a bug -- and it is important to learn to use the sideswiper
correctly from the outset!  You can find instructions for proper sideswiper
use at the following URL:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/cootie.htm

F.  If you choose the bug, its proper adjustment is the most important
beginning point.  Instructions for properly adjusting a bug are found at the
following URL:
http://fohnix.metronet.com/~nmcewen/bug_adjust.html

G.  If you choose to go directly to an electronic keyer, my suggestion is
that you choose the non-iambic key.  That is a key which will not allow the
dot and dash contacts to be closed at the same time.  There is just one
moving armature in that key and it is typically called a "Single-lever key."
An iambic key will allow both contacts to be closed at the same time.  With
regard to the electronic keyer itself, my suggestion is that you find one
which will allow you to disable or defeat the dot and dash memories and
switch them off.

Good luck to you.  CW is a completely different medium when speeds over
about 25 or 30 wpm are used.  To me it is much more enjoyable.  Hope you
find it so.
Good luck to you, too, Ari.

73 de Mike N4NT@wireco.net