[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners (ladderline lore)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec antenna tuners (ladderline lore)
From: patrickth@mindspring.com (Patrick A. Thompson Sr.)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:25:28 -0500
Uh...because that's the way I've always done it???  ;-)

The twist is there for the same reason flat TV lead used to be twisted.
Disturbances caused by proximity to other objects is supposed to effect both
conductors equally so that the system stays balanced. Another alleged
benefit is that signal pickup, on receive, is cancelled by inducing equal
and opposite currents.  This is supposed to reduce noise pickup by the
feedline. I'm not sure this really matters in amateur practice where the
load and line are not the same impedance. And for what its worth, I couldn't
find any quick references on this question but I'm assuming it goes back to
the same reasons 600 ohm audio or telephone cable was twisted as is cat5
cable etc.

A side benefit with commercial ladderline, my opinion, is the line doesn't
have a large continuos flat surface to catch the wind so it doesn't flutter
as much. I was more concerned with the line flexing and eventually breaking
than with electrical balance.

Pat, WA4TUK