[TenTec] Powermite vs. Heathkit HW-7

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Powermite vs. Heathkit HW-7
From: jmalloy@hamilton.edu (Joe Malloy)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:27:44 -0400
Sherrill, I had a Heathkit HW-8 which I assembled in the 70s; I ultimately
traded it for an Argosy and the rest of the story of radio acquisition is,
well, history.  I found the HW-8 a good little rig -- easy enough for my fat
fingers to assemble, relatively easy to align and it worked really well.  As
a matter of fact, I don't recall ever hearing the microphonics that some
have nor was I plagued by hum, AC or magnetic (well, you get drift!).  It
wasn't the most sensitive of radios I've ever used -- couldn't hold a candle
to the Argosy! -- but it was inexpensive and perfored admirably.  I can't
speak to the PowerMite, having never had one, but I can't believe the dial
is any more or less accurate on the HW-8.  I don't think you can go wrong
with either one -- and the HW-8 was certainly not a "Griefkit" for me!

72/73/74,

Joe, W2RBA