[TenTec] Powermite vs. Heathkit HW-7

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Powermite vs. Heathkit HW-7
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:28:22 -0500

> Ten Tec Fans:   I will really appreciate receiving comments
> from those who have used both the Ten Tec Power Mite and the
> "Griefkit"
> HW-7 or 8 series of qrp rigs.  I am aware that the "Griefkit"
> is  a somewhat later design than the Power Mite but do they offer
> significant performance improvements or advantages? A friend
> of mine says the "Griefkit" has a better calibrated dial?  -  I look
> forward to receiving comments on this - THANK'S! -  Sherrill W.  k4own

"Griefkit"??  Good grief.  More name calling of the other manufacturers on
the Ten-Tec reflector.  Boy...

I've had a couple dozen pieces of Heathkit equipment and have enjoyed them
thoroughly.  They provided many years of operational service.  For the price
and the fun of construction they were well worth the cost.

Same with Ten-Tec.

As for the HW7 or 8, they were great little transceivers.  I worked all
states on 40m with an HW8 and a strung-through-the-apartment dipole.  Great
fun.

Why not go get the equipment you are curious about and check them out for
yourself?  Except for very large specification differences, it's pretty much
a personal judgement call; much like stereo speakers.  One person's great
sounding speakers are another's tinny sounding speakers.

dale, kg5u