[TenTec] Which Amp for RTTY

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Which Amp for RTTY
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A Calvin)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:51:59 -0500
Eric,
        I have the VI+, the Centurion, and the Model 238 tuner.  I really like
the Centurion - it sturdy, reliable, and quiet except a small amount of
relay chatter on QSK CW - but not excessive.  It stands up to abuse well
(I've goofed a couple of times with no smoke), and I have used it for
160m and RTTY contests.  I'm not a serious contester due to space and
antenna limitations on a small city lot, but it really works for me.  I
had one problem with mine - early life failure of the bias transistor
which TT helped me get through quickly.  It just keeps making power no
matter what.  I also looked hard at the Herc II and nearly chose it.
What helped me decide on the Centurion instead was:  1) it would not be
as sensitive to SWR on the antenna system, cost less (considering power
supply and amp), and provided higher power on RTTY (700 W at the rated
duty cycle).  Still, it would have been nice to have instantaneous
bandswitching if my antennas were better tuned for every band.

Hope this is useful.

        73,  Duane  AC5AA

On Tue, 16 May 2000 14:14:33 -0400 Rosenberg.Eric@orbcomm.com writes:

> I'm sort-of looking for an amplifier to go with my Omni-6+ and
> curious to hear
> recommendations.  I've looked at the Centaur and Herc II at the 'low
> power' end
> of the market, but am curious to hear what people think about using
> these amps
> with RTTY/PSK31 et al, in addition to the 'traditional' modes.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric W3DQ
> Washington, DC
> rosenberg.eric@orbcomm.com