[TenTec] Re: Tuners & Ten Tec Transceivers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Tuners & Ten Tec Transceivers
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John G3JAG)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 09:26:32 +0100 (BST)
Hi Bob

I entirely agree with Jerry K0CQ.

I used verticals for a long time. I even have 80 radials buried in
the back yard, but the 40m inverted V dipole fed with ladderline leaves the
verticals for dead.

I use ladderline almost to the shack, then I have a 4:1 ladderline-to-coax
balun and then a few feet of RG-8 to an ATU. It works on all bands, except
160, and its not too hot on 80m, although I worked VK several times. Get the
biggest ATU you can - mine is an L-match. Some of the small ones seem
under-engineered and you may want to run higher power some day.

I just worked the A50CDX DX-pedition to Bhutan this evening, on 30m and again on
40m CW with my Elecraft K2 running all of 10 watts. Even if it turns out to be a
pirate, I still cracked a big European pile-up. Inverted V antennas and
ladderline work just fine. And I did not need to switch on the Omni-V/Hercules
II ! The K2 and inverted V has now accounted for way over 100 countries.

73 John G3JAG

E-Mail: John G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>