[TenTec] Bob's antenna saga - should i add radials or...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Bob's antenna saga - should i add radials or...
From: cherry@neta.com (Jim FitzSimons)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 16:30:48 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Mauro - PeopleNet" <mauro@idt.net>
Bob, leave all the ground and radials. They all work together.
The radials will only work on the frequency where they are tuned.
I have a old book printed in 1974 called The Amateur Radio
Vertical Antenna Handbook. What is in there is still good today.
Physics does not change. For a tower antenna for 40, 75, and 160
he had 16 radials all different lengths and a ground stake at the base
of the tower for static and lightning drain.  The antenna was made from
a 40 feet aluminum ladder. With antennas you can scale things.
You can use the same design on higher frequencies by making
everything smaller. If you really get into antenna design and modeling
you can use EZNEC. I have EXNEC 3.0.2.
Another book printed in 1979 Vertical, Beam, and Triangle Antennas
Has a 10-15-20 vertical ground system. That antenna used resonate
sections of guy wires for the radials.
Another book printed in 1972 Simple , Low-Cost Wire Antennas
for Radio Amateurs. Build a ground plane for 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 Meters
He used seperate guy wires resonate for each band. He says sloping
radials give a better match, so using guy wires for radials is a good idea.
I do not know why he put this in an antenna book, but he has a picture
of this woman on the roof holding the vertical. "Antennas are like blondes
--there are only two types: good and better!"
Best regards, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF