[TenTec] Operating voltage(s)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Operating voltage(s)
From: WA2PVK@prodigy.net (William Mansey)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 21:36:27 -0400
My opinion on the subject is that it is NOT good to operate equipment at
EITHER "end" of the recommended voltage range.  Too low a supply voltage is
as potentially harmful as too much.  Ohm's law states that (among other
things) that Power equals current times voltage.  If a piece of equipment
tries to maintain the same amount of power and the voltage is reduced - - -
then the current would have to increase to make up the difference.  Many
types of electronic equipment have circuits requiring different voltages
also.  This means voltage regulators are used.  Voltage extremes can give
regulators a workout.  My suggestion is to stay comfortably within the
specified voltage range!  Any potential gains in power out are not worth the
risks involved.  This is, of course, just my opinion.  I do tend to be
careful where the risks out weigh the gains!  NOT to mention the expense of
fixing or replacing something!