[TenTec] Details of SP-325 receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Details of SP-325 receiver
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 01:47:57 -0700
A few weeks ago, I bought a Ten-Tec SP-325 receiver.
Since then I've seen several other units for sale
on EBAY - prices going from around $300 to $350.
For the money its a very good receiver, that I feel is
comparable to the Drake R8.

I was told that this was a military receiver built for "training"
purposes.  My manual shows approval by the Naval Electronic Systems
Engineering Center, Charleston, SC.  The SP-325 seems to have been built
in 1987.

While the SP-325 is not in the Watkins-Johnson class, it seems too
elaborate to be just a "training" receiver. It is similar to
the RX-325 with slightly different control programming but has
much better stability due to oven controlled reference oscillators.
It has no speaker audio amp - just a 600 ohm line output.
My unit had a T-Kit audio amp pcb installed, so at least it's still
pure Ten-Tec.

Anyone know more details?
How many were made?
Was training the only purpose for these units?

73,
Doug/WA1TUT