[TenTec] Omni-A, Series B on 17 meters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-A, Series B on 17 meters
From: cjm@qvssoftware.com (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:07:31 -0400
Winston,

I had an OMNI A series B.  The AUX band position is for 24 Mhz.  Ten-Tec
sold a kit
for $25 that added 24 Mhz to this position and 10 Mhz transmit.

The design of the OMNI A made it bad to put 18 Mhz on it because of doubling
of the 9 Mhz IF and the mixing scheme used.  In spite of this,  I modified
my OMNI A
and added a few relays and a crystal to allow the 21 Mhz position to also be
18 Mhz
with the relays enabled.  It worked fine for me but I'm sure it did not meet
FCC specs.

I always enjoyed my OMNI A and used it for 15 years with no problems.

I had a fantastic time at the TT hamfest and really enjoyed meeting several
people
from the TT user's net.

Carl Moreschi  N4PY
cjm@qvssoftware.com