[TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:33:21 -0500
Alan, I think that yo have answered your own question.

The answer lies not with the condition of the patch cables but with
their length and type. You went from two foot RG-58 solid dielectric
coax to five foot RG-8 foam coax. Not only is the length significantly
different, especially on 12 meters, but the different dielectric
constants of the two cables affects their electrical lengths.

I had a similar experience recently. I terminate two ladderlines (one to
a 20-meter EDZ and the other to a 40-meter full-wave loop) with current
1:1 W2DU baluns to RG-213 coax. With this setup the MFJ 989-C tuner
handles all bands nicely.

I moved the tuner to a different position on the operating desk the
other day and had to add three foot extensions to the coax. After that,
not only were all the 989-C adjustments considerably different, but I
almost "lost" a couple of bands like you did.

I think that as long as you are operating your coax feedline at a
relatively high SWR such that you need your tuner to allow you to
operate on those WARC bands, you are going to have to stick with coax
jumper (and other) lengths that work for you. If the old coax was "too
ratty" then replace it, but with the same type of cable and the same
length. RG-58 is every bit as good as RG-8 for patch cables unless you
are running the legal limit or above.

Keep in mind that with your coax NOT terminated in its characteristic
impedance (Zo) it is acting like an impedance transformer. With your
original setup you just "happened" to have found a set of coax lengths
that presented an impedance range to your tuner that it could handle.

Also, if that coax run is very long you might be experiencing a little
lost power, but unless the swr is well above 3:1 or so, I wouldn't worry
about it. The ARRL Handbook or the Antenna Book has a chart to show you
how much *more* power you are losing due to the SWR not being 1:1.
Usually it isn't enough to worry about unless it is really high.

Happy hunting!

72/73, George   W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas      NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE Dallas in Collin county      QRP-L 1373
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 55th year and it just keeps getting better!
Icom IC-756 PRO #02121 (9/00) Kachina #91900556 (12/99) IC-765 (6/90)