[TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Matching Weirdness
From: tacquire@earthlink.net (Dan)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:33:51 -0700
I have always wondered if antenna tuners really accomplished anything.  Even if
the impedance of the rig is now matched to the load does the swr between the
tuner and the antenna just eat up all the power in the form of heat?  I was told
that if you say try to load up a cushcraft r5(10 thru 20 meter vertical) on 80
meters that you run the risk of saturating the core in the tuning box up on the
antenna and cracking it.  At that point I quit trying it.  I did it only once
one
night and had good results but didn't try it ever again once I found out that I
may not have been doing the wisest thing.