[TenTec] Morse Code in the 24th Century!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Morse Code in the 24th Century!
From: SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us (Sherrill WATKINS)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:22:55 -0400
Mark:  If I am not mistaken, morse code is still in use, commercially, in the
eastern hemisphere.  It was dropped in the western hemisphere because the labor
unions forced the cost of a cw radio operator so high that other technology
took over.  In the eastern hemisphere, where there are no labor unions,  there
are ships that still use a cw radio operator and will continue to do so.  The
last cost figures I heard to keep one cw radio operator on a ship at union
rates were about $300,000 per year.  This was for two people, each working six
months shifts. Each person being paid $150,000 per year.  It took the legal
resourses of Exxon Company and a few others and the advances in satellite
technology to get the law changed to eliminate the clout of the cw radio
operator unions!  -  sherrill  k4own.

>>> "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com> 10/19/00 08:56AM >>>

In this week's episode of Star Trek: Voyager, Morse code was used to send a
brief message when all other com systems were unavailable.  We only get to
hear about 4 characters, the rest are translated for us.

73,
Mark