[TenTec] Math/Schooling LONG

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Math/Schooling LONG
From: tacquire@earthlink.net (Dan)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:32:57 -0700
    In my personal experience, math was the single most difficult subject, and
furthermore prevented me from ever going on to a four year college,, since they
required a certain level of math to enter.  However I think that may have been
for the better since I tend to think more people should get out in the world and
get a real job instead of pissing around in college wasting their own and their
parent's money.
    Math is so difficult if for no other reason that it is so abstract with no
logical reasons as to why anything "adds up"  I've done quite a bit of
programming and I would define it as logical, sequencial steps but my same
experience with math was just absolutely being dumbfounded by it.  To be
perfectly honest I didn't get past pre algebra.  If I sat and thought about it a
bit I could go and on about various things in math that don't make sense but
it's interesting to note one big one that popped up this millenium.  It was
something that I've often thought about.  People said that 2000 is not the
beginning of the new century, but rather 2001 is.  Ever since I was a child I
thought about the same thing,, why have 0 if 1 is 1?? If there's a 0 but yet it
does mean something,,, then 0 must be 1 and 1 is 2.  That very logic screwed up
my addition on more than a few occaisions!  When you count do you count 1 2 3 or
0 1 2 3 ?  Because if you count 0 1 2 3 thats four numbers you have passed not
3!!! sigh
    Since we are already so far off topic let me go on to say this:  Too many
"schools of higher learning" participate in a discriminatory practice.  They
assume that you need certain classes to understand certain other classes.  Take
math and computer science.  I have learned and written difficult programs on my
own whereas if you wanted to take the same instruction in school they would
require calculus or some such other uneeded thing.  90 percent of programming
requires no math!  The most complex math you'll find in most programs is simple
incrementing, deincrementing, multiplication and division.  I think the last
real case of having to program IN math was fortran 4 using punch cards,, but
I've never done it myself.  As far as I'm concerned math and many aspects of
computer science should not be seen as dependent upon one another.  There are
many people who would make great programmers if given the chance to program.
The only type of programming that demands high end math are games and scientific
simulations with believe it or not games being the most complex programs to
write.  System application programs like say a word processor or an email
program are NOT math intensive.  It is more difficult though if you choose to
use an obfuscated language such as VC++ instead of a more straightforward one
like Visual Basic.  It's a real shame that educators feel they need to put
students through a predefined schedule of classes that have nothing to do with
what they want to learn or otherwise prevent them from achieving it.
    One more comparison,, math and electronics.  At our local college the math
club was the electronics club.  That didn't make much sense to me.  I saw what
they were building one day in there and frankly I wasn't impressed.  They were
building robots from kits, and I was building 600 watt linear amps for my ham
rig,, among a myriad of other things and fixing old shortwave and broadcast
receivers for people for a small fee.

    I only just touched on a huge problem in what I said here but those reading
it who know what I'm talking about can relate,, and those that just somehow
absorbed or memorized their way through school, won't understand what I'm
talking about.