[TenTec] Tritons Poppouri-II;540;544+PTO-WTD/FS-etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tritons Poppouri-II;540;544+PTO-WTD/FS-etc.
From: wb9iog@revealed.net (Mike Souhrada)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:34:02 -0600
Thought I'd share some thoughts on this line with the group.
Yes I have three, neat units.
PTO-main topic today.
Last night I replaced the old glunk in my 544 which I've had for
some time but never got around to using it. Didn't check it out
very well when purchased and didn't realize the PTO was badly
frozen until I wanted to set up my second operating station.
Boy was that old grease BAD. I recently got the PTO kit from
TT for my Triton II and thought I'd tackle the 544 PTO w/o
a kit purchase, primarily to save time.
Fortunately there was enough green grease left over to re
store the 544 which now is smooth as glass. A comment re that
PTO- there is a wedge washer on the top of the unit that holds the
spring and inductor in place. It seems to get smashed; in both
cases I found significant damage to them. On the II I made a
new one from phoenolic tubing and on the 544 It was good enough
to use and I noted it was made from a nylon material but somewhat
crushed by the spring action.
TT's PTO kit DOES NOT PROVIDE that wedge washer so be prepared
for some replacement.
If you have a frozen PTO don't hesitate to rebuild it- not that
big a project. I really stole the 544 price wise , I suspect the
previous owner didn't want to pay TT for the work (I'm guessing
but it might be $100 to have them do it with shipping etc.)
This job cost me nothing but bench time.

Next: the Triton II is NOT the same as the 540. I purchased the
manual for the I&II last year and repaired my friends I and kept
the manual. Then purchased a screwed up II. PTO again. Then I
found the audio was N/G and referring to the manual!@! NOT the
same at all. I need the schematic data for the older audio
board with the "U" shaped heat sink. I had previously posted
this request with no response. More recently I've found what
those devices were (my unit had some un identifiable devices
used as replacement) ;they are 2N4106 & 2N4105. I'd prefer
to restore it as originally designed.
HELP with the two data sheets on this audio board for the early
Triton II.

Next: Now that I have the 544 will not need the 540 analog
unit. It has the CW filter accy and includes the 252G P/S.
Looks very good can send pics $300 + ship from 52753.

Finally: If anyone needs help on the PTO job will coach you
as needed. Also on the dial cord replacement job-
Looking forward to using the 544 with the 242 VFO that came
with the package.
Mike
Le Claire, Iowa